Sunday 23 January 2011

A-muse-ments: Black Swan

After being excited by the extreme fashion hype since it was announced Rodarte would be designing the costumes, hearing rave reviews and being seriously seduced by the trailer I finally got to see Black Swan. And I have to say I was for once lost for words. If I had to sum it up in one word I would use powerful. It's probably one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Through the duration of the film I moved through nearly every emotion I can think of. I was excited, anxious, sad, scared, nauseated, annoyed and very amazed. And even after nearly a week since seeing it I'm still humming Tchaikovsky's swan lake and replaying scenes in my head.

I really hope Miss Portman gets the Oscar for her role playing Nina. I can not think of anyone more suited to the part. She is graceful in every moment of the film and her natural, effortless beauty really shows. Maybe it was the new love blossoming in the air giving her that extra glow. Aside from her looks the part is clearly demanding especially on her body. Even though already petite she had to endure a strict diet to shrink to the tiny proportions of a prima ballerina and then of course the super intense ballet training. You can clearly see it is her during the dance scenes and it's not easy to pull off all those pirouettes.

The costumes were stunning. I wish they could somehow be adapted so I could  wear them both in my everyday life. They would easily slip into my wardrobe monochrome, feathers and sparkle three of my favourite things. Ever since seeing the film I've found it impossible to not wear all black, not that it ever takes me much persuasion.  Fashion is a great disguise. My character is the opposite of my favourite things to wear. I love wearing black, faux fur, studs, leather, black lace and all things dark and tough. But my personality is far from tough, much more demure and reserved. My character is all white swan but my wardrobe couldn't be more black swan.

White or black which swan queen are you?

*M*

Images courtesy of www.imdb.com and www.wmagazine.com

White swan: Cardigan £14.99 H&M, Skirt £1400 Jason Wu at www.net-a-porter.com, Pumps £119 Pretty Ballerinas, Hairband £7.99 River Island.
Black Swan: Body £14.99 River Island, Trousers £2350 Balmain at www.net-a-porter.com, Shoes £65 Topshop, Clutch price on request Chanel.

No comments:

Post a Comment