Tuesday 16 November 2010

We heart... Christmas covers


Every month I get excited to go and get all the UK glossies, however I always get extra excited to get the December issues and especially to see the covers. I'm not particularly bothered who is featured on the cover but more by the overall "look." I love to see what colour theme has been used, the layout, the lighting, the mood, the pose (I particularly love head shot , up close cover shots) and of course what the cover star is wearing.  This month the running theme seems to be gold. Most of the mags have used gold for their title colour which is only right since it is the festive month. However Company, Red and Elle have all dressed their covergirls in gold which I actually prefer as it's not as christmassy and also focuses on the clothes. My favourites are Elle and Harpers Bazaar although this may be because they both feature Balmain dresses! 

The Harpers Bazaar cover is beautiful, but then I always love Harpers' covers. Natalia Vodianova is one of my all time favourite models, and she looks as youthful as ever here. The whole feel of the cover has a kind of a sepia tone.  Everything from the dress, the text colour, lighting and even her hair colour radiates warmth. 

The Elle cover has a completely different feel and mood. It's strong, dramatic and very powerful. I adore this style of lighting, it makes the picture look expensive and classy and has an old painting feel to it. Her pose screams confidence and I love the way she looks down into the camera. Her pale skin makes her look like a sculpture adding to the vintage feel of the shot. I think the dress is the main focus of the picture it's like there's a spotlight on it, which I also love. 

Although it's not a UK monthly I have to give a special mention to W magazine's December issue which features a gorgeous picture of Katherine  Heigl and her adopted daughter Naleigh. It's such a beautiful picture, I cannot wait to go and buy it. It's like an ancient oil painting and I adore what they are both wearing. So extra hearts goes to this beautiful, beautiful cover shot.

*M*


No comments:

Post a Comment