Sunday 14 November 2010

Show to Shops: Red

Pictures courtesy of Style.com and ala.pa-legion.com
Top row left to right: Givenchy, Isabel Marant, Dolce and Gabbana.
Second row left to right: Dolce and Gabbana, Stella McCartney, Giorgio Armani, 
Third row: Prada, Valentino (all AW10.)

Aside from camel, red is definitely the colour of the season. Dolce and Gabbana, Stella McCartney, Givenchy, Prada, Isabel Marant, Giorgio Armani and of course Valentino all featured the colour in their A/W10 collections. Unlike camel, which has been sadly played out on the high street, red is still very much desired and exciting this season. In my opinion it deserves it's moment in the lime light as for many seasons I feel it's been cheapened down and over-vamped on the high street, but I think this season the high street has finally got it right. I really want a red cape, which C thinks is very brave of me, but also top of my list is a pair of super skinny red jeans or cropped trousers. I'm not quite brave enough to go for red leather a la Marant but Zara and River Island have some great non leather alternatives. There have also been a few red leather/PVC cropped biker jackets about, go for a more tailored long coat instead and channel Givenchy rather than Thriller. The trick to looking more chic than shabby is to go for simple tailored cuts. Keep frills, detail and pattern to a minimum, red lace is another tricky one to get right. Accessorising can also be difficult. I always find it hard to get my shoes and bag right when wearing red. Right now your best option is to team with this season's leopard, either shoes or bag and nude or black of the other. I already am but make sure the high street has you seeing red this season. 

*M*





Clockwise from top: skirt £115 by Malene Birger at Net-a-porter.com, jeans £39.99 River Island, coat £100 Oasis, shoes £180 LK Bennett, top £55 Coast, dress £50 Topshop. 
Picture in centre: Coat £129, all Zara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment